Aetna (NYSE:AET) is a well known name in the field of healthcare, pharmacy, dental, vision, group life, disability insurance and employer benefits.
Its main aim is to provide total security to people at a low premium. They work on plans which workout for different classes of people.
Aetna is a pioneer in the field of insurance. It was founded in the year 1850.It has grown immensely in the past few years and today stands high, and is one of the giants in this field. It is a leader in the field of Insurance carriers.
It covers an area of 50 states, and has a record membership of 16613 million which includes active members and their extended families. It networks in 4771 hospitals and is supported by 47000doctors and specialists.It employs a staggering 34,024 people who includes agents, brokers, and customer support staff. Aetna health insurance offers thousands of health plans underwritten by more than 180 of the nation’s health insurance companies. Aetna has its head office at the following address:
151 Farmington Avenue,
Hart ford, CT 6156, U S A.
Aetna has several subsidiaries which function under the same company but deal with different aspects. Or are situated in different states. Some of the subsidiaries of Aetna are:
- Aetna Life
- Aetna health of California Inc
- Aetna life insurance company ltd
- Aetna dental of California Inc
Aetna has been honored by several organizations for its exemplary service in the field of insurance service. It has won several awards for its professionalism and excellence in this field.
Some of the popular awards in the Aetna kitty include:
- 2003 best disease management program in managed care award from the disease management association of America for its special program for chronic heart failure.
- The” Stevie” award for best business turnaround which is recognition for leadership, innovation, perseverance, creativity teamwork and integrity in business awarded by the American Business Awards.
- The 2004 HEERA award, an annual award given jointly by Americas Health Insurance Plans and Wyneth Pharmaceuticals. This award was given in recognition of Aetna’s adolescent immunization program for improving the quality in children’s health and expanding it to diverse populations.
- The 2005 award for excellence in workplace volunteer program given by the points of light foundation and volunteer center national network for engaging employees in volunteering in a big way.
- In 2006 Aetna was awarded the large/affiliated innovation and excellence award for its integrated approach to chronic care of diabetes and to manage their condition.
- This award is given by America’s health insurance plans foundation.
- The national business coalition on health recognized Aetna with an E value 8TM innovation award in 2006 for its Aetna rx check programme.In 2005 it was given recognition for its support of physicians treating Hispanic/Latino people with diabetes.
- In 2006 it was again awarded with the Innovation in Multicultural Health Care Award by the national committee of quality assurance for its efforts and innovation in making programmes to deliver equal care to linguistic,racial,and ethnically backward or different class of people.
- Aetna in 2007 was recognized for its exemplary work in the insurance field and was ranked no 2 in health care category by fortune magazine and was also awarded the most admired company. It is like a certificate for excellence which indicates the height of its corporate reputation.
- Aetna’s Ron Williams. Chairman, CEO, and President were awarded the A Leon Higginbotham Corporate Leadership award by the lawyers committee for civil rights under law. The award recognizes Athena’s diverse and corporate social responsibility which the company has upheld for quite some time.
The National Business Group on health has named Aetna a2007 winner of its behavioral health awards for its commitment to helping workers and their families to cope with mental health substance abuse and all problems associated with these conditions.
Aetna is a company which thinks insurance is a need which should be accessible to all. It works at providing insurance to those who need it at an affordable rate. It provides information about more than 180 insurance companies on line which makes it easier for customers to pick the right policy for themselves.